Our bodies are made of collagen, a protein that supports tissue structure and cells. It can be found in the bones, cartilage, skin, tendons, connective tissues, and skin. It is not unusual for individuals to take collagen supplements to assist in their skin care regimen.
Topical and oral collagen is often used to assist in slowing down the aging process. Experts do recommend taking a supplement that contains peptides with amino acids such as glycine and hydroxyproline.
There are 28 different kinds of collagen, with four main ones.
- Type I is the most common type, which can be found in all connective tissues.
- Type II can be found in the joints, as well as the intervertebral discs.
- Type III can be found on the skin and blood vessels.
- Type IV can be found on the eye lens, the kidneys, and the inner ear.
Benefits of Collagen Supplements
As stated above, collagen supplements are known to slow down aging. However, there are so many other wonderful benefits.
Skin health can be improved many times when collagen is used
Many have found it works wonders in making the skin firmer. It helps to hydrate the skin, and also provides more elasticity for it. This is important because as we age, our skin can become dry, which will allow wrinkles to set in.
Still not convinced? Studies have shown that women who take 3-10 grams of collagen per day found improvements in skin hydration and elasticity within an average of 69 days.
Collagen can ward off joint pain
This protein will help keep your cartilage together, which helps to protect the joints. When a person ages, the collagen in our bodies begins to diminish. This can lead to some painful conditions with the joints, such as osteoarthritis.
However, studies have found that individuals who take collagen may be less stiff and have less joint pain than those who do not take this as a supplement. As collagen collects in the cartilage, your body can make more collagen. Therefore, inflammation may be reduced and the joints can be better supported. This may also lead to a reduction in pain.
Collagen might prevent bone loss
Collagen is what makes the bones strong, thus providing them with their structure. Over time, the bone mass in your body will begin to diminish. This can lead to various conditions such as osteoporosis. One study, in which post-menopausal women took either calcium and vitamin D with 5 grams of collagen or without any collagen found that the group with the collagen added had less bone mineral density loss.
In a different study, post-menopausal women took 5 grams of collagen for 12 months. Those who took collagen saw a 7% increase in their bone mineral density versus those who did not take any collagen supplement.
Collagen can help the hair and nails grow
Those who have weak or brittle nails are encouraged to take collagen to make them stronger. As collagen is rich in amino acids, it will help build up the keratin, which is the protein that makes up the hair. Collagen will also fight against free radicals as it acts as an antioxidant.
Collagen supplements have been designed to assist individuals who want to increase the collagen in their bodies. One can pick supplements with oral collagen or topical collagen.
Oral collagen may come in pills, liquids, gummies, or powder. Pills are easy for those that like the convenience factor. If you are unable to swallow pills, a liquid form is also an option. Gummies are an excellent option for those that like to indulge in gummy candies. Powders can be mixed into various beverages, such as water, juice, tea, coffee, and smoothies.
Topical collagen comes in various forms. Creams are a popular option as they are easy to use. Some collagen will come in a serum form, while others are sprays. Topical collagens are very safe to use on not only the face but the rest of the body. Topical collagen will help to fill in wrinkles and fine lines on the skin, assist skin cells in improving elasticity and increase moisture levels.
XYZ Smart Collagen
- This product visibly reduces fine lines and wrinkles on the face, firms and tightens sagging skin, reduces stretch marks, and improves skin texture.
- You may purchase XYZ Smart Collagen for under $50 a jar. They also have a special of 3 jars under $100 or 5 jars for under $150 with free delivery on all orders.
- Made from leaf sap from the South African plant Bulbine Frutescens, this collagen supplement contains two powerful compounds- knipholone and acetylated polymannose. These compounds slow down how fast collagen breaks down while increasing its production of it.
- XYZ Smart Collagen is formulated in accordance with numerous industry standards. Not only is it cold-pressed for quality and purity, but it is a certified organic, 100% vegan natural product.
- Manufactured by a trusted name, Wolfson Brands (UK) Limited in a state-of-the-art facility, this company has been developing cosmeceuticals and nutraceuticals for decades.
Managing Editor, With a background in health, holistic nutrition and science, Chloe has written for international publications including the Wall Street Journal and Green King.